Since Scrufty has been healing from a severe infection, I have been helping her with her immune system. The vet said to put a pinch of vitamin C in her food. Even before I discovered Scrufty's extensive infection, I checked with our town’s pet store. They gave me a supplement which I have been using for all of our cats. It is called,"Dr. H's Multi-Vitamin Mineral & Herbal Supplement for Cats"Here are the ingredients -Bee Pollen, spirulina, Lecithin, Nutritional Yeast, Garlic, Flax Seed Meal, Alfalfa Leaf, Kelp, Bilberry leaf, Chamomile Flowers, Oat Straw, Ginkgo Leaf, Dandelion Root, Burdock Root, Thyme Leaf, Papaya Leaf, Rosemary Leaf, Peppermint Leaf, Fennel Seed, Suma, Red Clover Blossoms, Milk Thistle Seeds, Rose Hips, Yellow Dock Root, Licorice Root, Ginger root, Fo Ti Root.
I've heard of every ingredient except the last one. All of the cats here will eat their normal wet food with approx. 1/2 teaspoon mixed in per one large can. None of them including Scrufty has ever rejected the food with this supplement. I am careful not to use too much at one time. I could probably use it at each feeding considering how little I put in. But I end up forgetting. So it usually goes into their food a few times each week.
Dr H stands for Dr Harvey's. The newest version of this supplement on his website does not have all of the above ingredients listed on the site. Check it out. Here is the contact information
http://www.drharveys.com/products/line/2-cats
Dr. H's Healthy Formulations, Inc.180 Main StKeansburg, NJ 07773
1.866.362.4123
info@drharveys.com
I do not have any clinical way to measure whether this stuff is working. However, except for Scrufty and Panther (both dental problems), the outdoor cats are not demonstrating any illness. And I purchased this supplement at a reputable pet store in my town.
The website shows -
Multi-Vitamin and Herbal Supplement $8.95 And there is another product which looks good - Emune-Boost for Cats $11.95
For anyone who is reading about Scrufty for the first time, I still need some help with the remaining $275. of the vet bill for her surgery. But what she needs most now is prayers as she newly finished with her meds - very concerned that her compromised system will continue to rebuild itself. At the suggestion of the vet, I have also been giving her fresh ground turkey to build up her low protein levels.
http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/2010/01/scruftys-progress.html
10 comments:
Thank you for the great information. I will keep it in mind for Herman.
very interesting info. Good luck to Scruffy.
Thanks so much for this wonderful info!!
Thanks for the good info fur sure...I think Dad would have to sneak it in our food so we wouldn't notice. Have a great weekend!!!
Very interesting...I'm always on the lookout for nutritional supplements. My boys get L-Lysine in their food every night to help control Smokey's herpes. I think it does wonders for them.
My vet told me about Dr Harveys web site too. I have a cat with FIV with a very compromised immune system and give her Calcium Ascorbate/Vitamin C Chelate a non acidic powder of 4000 mg per teaspoon. It is made by Natural Animal Nutrition of edgewood MD 800.548.2899 and I also give Ivy Standard Process Feline Immune Support containing glandulars. Standard Process has a web site online. Good luck with Scruffy!
Thanks for the info, Debby.......we continue to purr for Scrufty. xxxxxxxx
Thanks for the supplement info. I hadn't heard of it so it is good to know.
We hope Scruffy is going to be ok soon. We are still sending her lots of purrs and prayers to get well!
Thanks for the info. Sending lots of purrs.
We are hoping Scruffy will continue to improve. Thanks for the information. I hadn't hear of this product.
Iris
Post a Comment