Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

11/29/09

Sammy Has Disappeared

















I agreed to take a new feral cat, transferred to me by a local rescue agency. Sammie could not stay in the garage arrangement any longer where he was being fed. So he came to me November 17, 2009, just having been neutered.



I kept him in a holding cage for about 4 days. We took his cage outside during the daytime (Arizona is temperate during daytime in the winter) so he could get acquainted with our cat colony and possibly gain some attachment to the place where we feed everyone. He was quite fierce, scratching and hissing when I put food in his cage or changed his litter (using heavy gloves was a must). Of course, as all the ferals are prone to do when caged, he appeared to become increasingly depressed. He ate once a day, but eliminated very little. Many other ferals before him have basically shut down even worse than that while recovering in the holding cage. I was not concerned about this since they always come back to life upon leaving the cage.


However, I was quite concerned about whether he would stick around after we let him out of the cage. The place where he was being fed in the garage is quite far away. Now, eight days after releasing him, there has been no sign of him. I know he saw the food as he was leaving (see above photo). And we made sure Sammie saw our colony eating each day.

Please pray that Sammie comes back to our Debby's home in Prescott Valley, AZ so I can be sure he gets the food and water he needs.


Thanks for reading my post - leave a comment if you like. I plan to share more about my experiences and what I have learned from managing this homeless colony.


And please let your friends know about my blog.


Debby Taylor



10 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

We sure do hope that wherever Sammy, is that he is as safe as can be. My sisters and I will be purring for poor little Sammy.

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I sure hope that Sammy will return. It is hard to think of him out there somewhere on his own.We will be thinking of him and I will remember him in my prayers.

Your friends at Boo-Bahs Little Sunshines

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Come back and show yourself to Miss Debra...she cares about you. You are handsome...

ELAINE ERIG said...

Check Your own Yard First
Indoor cats who slip out will usually stay in their own yards, or hide under decks, foundations, and shrubbery.
Create Flyers with a Photo of the Cat
Offer a reward (more about this later), and distribute the flyers door-to-door in at least a three-block radius, also post in store windows and on telephone poles.
Ask your Animal Control Officer
Give him/her a flyer and ask that s/he be on the lookout for your cat, dead or alive.
Call Local Veterinarians
It is possible a "guardian angel" brought your cat in with injuries; ask the vets if you can post a flyer in their clinics
Visit your Local Animal Shelter
Leave a flyer and ask if a cat meeting the description has been brought in, alive or dead
Enlist Neighborhood Children
Visit your local school and ask that children keep their eyes (and ears) open for information about your cat; hand out flyers. Ask for permission from school authorities before talking directly to children.
Advertise
Most local newspapers and shopping guides will allow free "lost & found" ads. Also Check the newspaper listing for "found cats"
Post to Local Lost/Found Internet Pages
Some communities sponsor web sites specifically designed for lost/missing pets.
Check with Local Rescue Organizations
Ask for permission to visit foster homes that may have recently taken in a cat meeting the description.
we hope he comes back ,hugs BORIS ,PALOMA, LUD AND WU

.

Everycat said...

We'll all be purring for Sammie to come back and join the colony. It can take a while for a new cat to be accepted as you well know. He could well be just holed up near by and sneaking out when others have gone to have a feed. Keep putting food out for him, he'll find it, if he's around the area.

COME BACK SAMMIE!!!

SASS....Sammy Andy Shelly Sierra said...

We are purraying that Sammy will soon return.

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I so hope the poor sweetheart will get to a safe place where he can be fed. You must be worried about him.. I will be praying for his safety.. Carol and GJ x

BeadedTail said...

We hope Sammie is safe and has shelter and food. We'll send purrayers for his return too.

JEWELGIRLS KATZ said...

Sammy you are one pretty feral cat, I hope they
find you sweetie so you can get the care you need.
Purrs From Us ♥ Jewelgirls Katz

Amy & the house of cats said...

Oh this is so sad - poor Sammie out there alone. I hope he realizes that you just wanted to help and take care of him and comes back. We will pray that he is ok and comes back to you soon!