Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

11/15/09

Panther Loses Her Last 4 Teeth

Panther is a really sweet abandoned cat who arrived at my door some time in 2008. When I had her spayed, the vet recommended removal of most of her teeth due to severely advanced tooth decay. So, for a while now, she has had only her 4 canines.

Recently, a different vet gave Panther cortisone for her Caleci virus symptom, throwing up. For one of our indoor cats, TigerLily, this treatment has prevented vomiting for nearly 4 months. For Panther, it lasted only 3 weeks. Then, due to repeat office visits for routine shots, I discovered Panther had lost weight. This is likely due to the fact that daily she lost at least one of her meals to vomiting.

The vet showed me the bright red from Caleci at the base of Panther's four teeth. He said that if I had them pulled, it would be likely that the Caleci virus would become less active since it would lose the area where it was thriving. She was not using those teeth anyway since she does not have to rip or tear meat. So I became convinced that it would be good to have them removed. I will be more protective of her now since she has lost four weapons she could have used against the ubiquitous coyote (fortunately, she has all her claws).

Her surgery was 11/13/2009. She is doing quite well now. The vet said she might still throw up for a while. Giving it time, the vomiting should disappear. I remain hopeful.

I got the total price for her surgery reduced from $480.00 to $275.00. Yippee!

Currently, my personal finances are quite taxed, several major expenses hitting me all at once. If anyone reading this feels like contributing to Panther's fund, it would help me keep going with this homeless cat care. Anything above the $275. which I receive goes into a savings fund which is exclusively for the medical expenses for our feral/abandoned ones. I never use that fund for my two indoor kitties.

There is a PayPal button in the panel at the right of this post.

Another reason why I posted many details of Panther's health crisis is that I hope it can be of help to anyone reading this who cares for outdoor cats. Without a competant vet, the red at the base of a cat's teeth could be misdiagnosed as tooth decay. The vet says that sometimes cats get the Caleci virus from their mothers. And it is contageous among cats. I believe a cat can be vaccinated against Caleci with one of the routine cat vaccinations. But it's too late for that with Panther.

Here are some links if you want to read about the Caleci virus

http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/calici.html

http://www.cat-health-guide.org/feline-calici-virus.html


And if you are willing please help me by copying my blog link and sending it to your cat loving friends who might not be in the cat blogosphere -

http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/


Thanks so much for reading this,


Debby


DTConsult@cableone.net

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We hope the v*t's treatment does the trick for Panther. Some cats don't have much luck healthwise, and it's about time Panther's luck got better. We'll send healing vibes and purrayers for her...

Karen Jo said...

Poor Panther. I hope she feels much better now.

SASS....Sammy Andy Shelly Sierra said...

Oh, dear.....we are purraying for Panthers well being.

xxxxxx

Nina Torbie said...

Oh, I'm so glad Panther has you to look after her! It's such a big world out there with so many dangerous things for us little kitties! Until I found my forever home, I stayed under blankets a lot so the bad things couldn't see me. Purrs for you, Panther, and all the other homeless and feral kitties!
Nina

Anonymous said...

Removing the teeth does work - it seems drastic but ....Hope all goes well for Panther!

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I hope Panther does okay without teeth. I don't know much about this virus. I will have to read up on it. Will he be able to be an inside kitty now?

Iris

Brian's Home Blog said...

My sisters and I sure do hope the that sweet Panther gets along OK without his teeth.

Marg said...

Poor Panther, hope she is doing better by now. I sure am glad to meet you because I do the same thing. I take in cats all around the neighborhood and it is costing me a fortune. But I am very lucky to have some friends that do bring food. And my vet is good too about not charging a fortune for the feral cats. Wish I could give you a donation, but there isn't enough money to go around here. I will put your blog on my blog roll

Cats of Wildcat Woods said...

Just stopping by to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for all you do for the cats!

Everycat said...

We hope Panther thrives without those teeth! Our Gerry was a Calici disaster when he was found abandoned and removing all his teeth was the best thing ever - (the depomedron didn't work, he kept getting calici mouth ulcers) Our vet said that the constant drip of low level infection into his system would be another thing causing vomiting and may eventually damage his heart and kidneys, so it was a no brainer. He's now on Virbagen Omega (Interferon) orally, daily and it's kept the Calici at bay. He does get vaccinated yearly because there are several strains of Calici (the vaccines in the UK only protect against two strains) the newer substrains can be really nasty and fatal on occasion. Panther looks glorious in that photo - I hope she does as well as our Gerry has done - I bet Panther is glad those teeth are gone too :)

The Island Cats said...

We hope Panther does better now...we're sending healing purrs her way....

Mo and The Purries said...

I have re-posted this on the "House Panthers" blog, and hope that Panther is doing well in the new year!
Thank you for what you do for these kitties!

http://housepanthers.blogspot.com/2010/01/panther-loses-her-last-4-teeth.html