Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

11/9/09

We Will Be Building A Cat Run


I have less time to blog lately. The local incident with the coyote snatching some one's Chihuahua really shook me up. I am calling to get estimates on a cat run and cat door. I am hoping it does not cost too much. I sure wish my husband or I were handy that way - it would probably cost next to nothing for materials.

Here is a photo of one of our abandoned cats. What a strange one she is - Scrufty. She doesn't like to be held or pet. But she will let us pick her up to bring her in out of the cold. And sometimes she lets me brush her. What a coat she has, too! She reminds me of PigPen in the cartoon Snoopy. Only instead of whirlpools of dirt flying it is tufts of fur coming off of her. A few tufts fly off her whenever and wherever she moves!

If any of you has any links to information you thing would be helpful for anyone building a cat run, please add it to a comment. I did some research to come up with sites other than just the pre-fab stuff. Here are a few I found which might be of interest to some of my readers -

Blessings to all of you cat lovers out there!
Debby Taylor

8 comments:

The Creek Cats said...

We don't know anything about cat runs. Sounds like a very good idea though! Good luck with yours!

Amy & the house of cats said...

We don't have a cat run but I know that they build one over at The Poupounette (http://thepoupounette.blogspot.com/) - you could take a look at some of the pictures in their blog for some ideas. Since my kitties are strictly indoor (before we got the newest 2 the others had no interest in outside in any way) we haven't gotten one but it is something I have thought the youngest might like to have if we ever have the room.

Ellen Whyte said...

Maybe someone at the local shelter can help you?

Liss said...

Oh I hope you can get the run built. You should have a fund-raiser on your blog.

Karen Jo said...

The cat door and cat run sound like a great idea. Forty Paws (http://fortypaws.blogspot.com) built an enclosure. I am glad that you like my limericks and tributes for the Bridge kitties. The URL for Shadow Lady is: http://jewelgirlsjewelry.blogspot.com/ It is in the post, but not easy to see as it is between the two photos.

Anonymous said...

Our friend Peel has built several cat runs - but she is not a blogger so I can try to tell you what she did. She used hog wire nailed to a wood frame with the posts of the frame buried into the ground. The hog wire ran across the top with hte sides bent and nailed to the posts too. Make sure you have room to stand inside! I will see if she has any photos to send you. This fenced run was butted up against a shed with a cat door opening into the fenced area. She built (she's very handy) a lean too for the liter boxes inside the fenced area. Hope this helps. Write me for more info if you wish! We converted this idea to our carport/workshop shelter.

Valerie said...

Hello to all. I work for PetFoodDirect.com as the Product Specialist. I just looked this up for a customer the other day because they wanted an enclosure for cats but we do not sell them. I located this Australian website that is really cool and they have some great photos, ideas and plans to build your own.
http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

I feed about 5 ferals of my own in Pennsylvania and am glad we don't have to worry about Coyotes where I am!
If we can be of any help with nutrition or wellness questions, please let us know...you can follow us on Twitter(http://twitter.com/PetsLovePFD) or friend us on Facebook (http://facebook.com/petfooddirect)
Best of luck!
Valerie

Charlemagne and Tamar said...

Good luck with building the kitty run!

Charlemagne and Tamar