Panther's mouth has healed nicely. She no longer has the red on her gums from Calici virus. Plus, I have not seen any evidence of any vomiting. I used to see it either in the house or on the porch several times a week. So it looks like the procedure has helped her. Yippee! Since she was not using her remaining four canines for eating, she is still eating fine just like before.
Here are comments from one of my readers regarding the Calici virus and mouth problems with her cats Gerry and Angel which I believe could be valuable to those of you with rescued cats -
"Our Gerry was a Calici disaster when he was found abandoned and removing all his teeth was the best thing ever - (the depomedron didn't work, he kept getting Calici mouth ulcers) Our vet said that the constant drip of low level infection into his system would be another thing causing vomiting and may eventually damage his heart and kidneys, so it was a no brainer. He's now on Virbagen Omega (Interferon) orally, daily and it's kept the Calici at bay. He does get vaccinated yearly because there are several strains of Calici (the vaccines in the UK only protect against two strains) the newer substrains can be really nasty and fatal on occasion. Panther looks glorious in that photo - I hope she does as well as our Gerry has done - I bet Panther is glad those teeth are gone too.
"It's emotionally a hard choice to make to take out a mouthful of teeth, we hummed and h'aaard about it for a little while, but seeing Gerry's gums on a cycle of inflammation, infection and ulceration within two weeks of the depomedron dose and learning about how low grade mouth infections contribute massively to the ability of a cat to thrive, was what swayed us. Out they came, instantly happier, healthier cat. Angel our oldest cat only has a few incisors at the front and one upper and one lower canine at the front left now, she had FORLS not Calici , but the result was the same, misery from pain and lack of zest for life - out the teeth came and she's made it to nineteen and a half with sweet breath and enjoys life without mouth pain. I would recommend it to anyone who had a cat with recurrent dental problems. I'm glad you took the plunge with Panther, she will be so much better off now."
http://everycat.blogspot.com/2008/12/chops-on-thursday.html
I have so many feral cats. I just hope none of them get the Calici since they are all trap-wise now. My vet said that often a cat will get Calici from it's mother.But I think they can also get it from another cat when older. Getting our ferals any care would seem to be next to impossible. Although if showed signs of being ill in any way I suppose I could try to catch him/her in our drop trap.
Thanks for reading my post - please leave a comment. I plan to share more about my experiences and what I have learned from managing this homeless colony. Please let your friends know about my blog. I would like to gather more followers.
Perhaps you know people who would feel inclined to donate to the management of this feral/abandoned colony, using the PayPal button on the sidebar.
May all of your pets be well and happy,
Debby Taylor DTConsult@cableone.net
http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/
11/29/09
Update for Panther and the Caleci Virus
Labels:
abandoned cat,
Caleci virus,
mouth ulcers,
remove teeth cats,
vomiting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My sisters and I are so very happy to hear that Panther is doing better now.
Very glad to read that Panther's mouth has healed well. We've read that Calici is shed most often by carriers when they've got active mouth ulceration, so any sneezing or mutual grooming might spread it. The biggest thing to cause an outbreak in a carrier cat is stress apparently.
Panther probably feels like a new cat now! :)
Post a Comment