
I have been taking this sweet kitty, Stripe, to a weekly cat adoption event. She has trouble with being confined in the cage there. She keeps her head lowered and acts depressed. I don't know what to do to help her be more of her true animated self. She is under 2 yrs old, but people comment on her, saying they think she is older, probably because she is such low energy. Of course I have taken her to the adoption event for only 4 weeks. I plan to keep taking her. Please hold her in your thoughts for the right person to come to the adoption that wants her.
Also, I have her on PetFinder.com. I have heard that some people adopt pets from that site without even going to an adoption event. I'd love to hear some stories about anyone you know who has used PetFinder.com successfully that way.
I guess I'm asking for your encouragement that eventually I'm going to get a home for Stripe. In my head I know it is inevitable. But I am feeling a little discouraged. Last week 6 other cats were adopted - not Stripe.
Thanks for reading my post - leave a comment if you like. I plan to share more about my experiences and what I have learned from managing this homeless colony. Please let your friends know about my blog.
I would be extremely grateful if you feel inclined to donate to the management of this feral/abandoned colony, using the PayPal button on the sidebar.
23 comments:
i found my kitty on petfinder... i hope someone adopts her soon!
I found Fenris (my dog) through Petfinders.com. I agreed to foster Scylla & Charybdis sight unseen and wound up adopting them.
I will say from my experience with Artemisia (a semi-feral barn cat I rescued from my Mom & Dad's), that her true personality didn't show up until I had her home for a few days. Who could have guessed that the kitten that didn't even want me to pet her just give her the scrambled eggs and ham would turn into a lap cat that would follow me around. Not to mention she is kinda pushy and demands her own way. Nothing like the scared waif I brought home.
Good luck finding a home for Stripe. Maybe a favourite toy in the cage with her would help.
I wish I knew, but we'll tell everyone we know to spread the word too, ya never know.
I know it is hard. Some cats don't "show" well - like Alasandra said above. And some ferals take a long time to adjust to a new house. Not many people are willing to put the time in to get a shy cat like Stripe to be at home. I have not been successful in adopting my guys so I just accepted that I was to keep them for life. You might want to try Petfinders or even list her on Catster as adoptable with a run down of all her good traits. She is very pretty and someone out there may want to have her. If I can be of help - let me know!
We don't have a ton of info on what to do as far as getting her to come out of her shell, but we would suggest the site adoptapet.com in addition to petfinder - I know a girl at work who looks through it daily. Stripe is such a beautiful girl - she just needs to find the right home. Probably a quiet one would be good. The right family will find her - it just takes longer sometimes. We are sending lots of purrs and prayers that her right match shows up quickly!
i adopted one of my cats thru petfinder. i found kintaro (then named jj) and adopted him with only the description and pictures. i drove from sumter, south carolina to fayetteville (just south of atlanta), georgia to pick him up. the pictures did not do him justice. his fur is so soft and he has the sweetest purr. stripe is a beautiful cat. i think putting her on petfinder or catster is a great idea. you can put lots of info in her profile to let prospective adopters know what she is really like.
I have always adopted my cats from adoption events or shelters. Or, like in the case of my two current cats, one was found a stray on the street and the other was in an abandoned litter of kittens. My friend just adopted a tortie and he's looking for another tortie (he's always wanted two) and if we were closer, I know he would love Stripe. She's so pretty and sweet. We know the right person will come along and look into those beautiful eyes of her and know they are meant to be together. I'm sure she appreciates what you're doing for her. Torties have a way...
I wish I knew of a way to help you but the right person will come along and both they and Stripe will know that's the furever home for her. Our Isabella was in the shelter for 3 months before we found each other and with her personality, we can't believe no one got her before but we're so glad they didn't!
The right person will want her. I wanted a non-aggressive, non-alpha cat to go along with my 15 year old girl after my last boy passed. She was always picked on, so I didn't want the new cat to do that. I ended up adopting a sweet girl from a local no kill shelter that I wouldn't have even seen if they hadn't have suggested her. She had been in the shelter for her entire 3 1/2 years of her life. It was the best decision I could have mde.
I definitely agree that the right person will come along for her. Some people are interested in outgoing cats, others understand that an adoption event may very well be a stressful place for a cat. There will be someone who is drawn to her beauty and will inquire about her personality in a home setting. That's the kind of person you want, anyway - someone who understands that cats can be completely different when they're at "home." Good luck!
I don't have any suggestions, but I can offer some encouragement. When I first met Herman, he was extremely depressed and lacked almost all animation. There was something about him, though, that drew us together and it was the best decision I ever made.
You are going a great job. I believe Stripe needs a lot of cuddles, love and talking to.
Please don't lose hope! You are doing a great job, and there is someone out there who is perfect for Stripe. Sometimes, a person sees something in a cat that no one else does ... it's almost as if the kitty chooses the person. We're sending purrs and prayers your way.
She is just gorgeous! We sure hope the purrfect home comes available for her soon. Trust us, we know it can be a tad frustrating. We're still trying to find our two fosters a home.
We hope the pretty girl gets a home soon. The right person just hasn't come along yet.
I hope Stripe finds a forever home soon.
We're purring and purraying that Stripe gets a forever home. She's a cutie!
Sniffie and the Florida Furkids
Some great suggestions above! I wonder if you'd have any luck spreading the word about Stripe amongst any local sheltered communities for older people? I'm sure some must allow pets and if Stripe is just a quieter kind of cat, who doesn't like a lot of noise and bustle, maybe that kind of home would suit her better? I also wondered if you could slowly harness train her, so that she could be brought out of the cage at adoption events, and maybe be held by you so she can show off that she likes affection? It might be too much for her, but it might just allow her to blossom in public!
WW.
Aw! I think adoption events must be difficult! Only one of my 3 cats would not be withdrawn at something like that - Franklin, our most affectionate and playful kitty, gets really afraid and shy when he's around strangers.
I don't really have any ideas, but am wishing you and Stripe all the best. I do know people who look at Petfinder so I think it's a good idea to put a listing there.
Purrs and love -
Katie
This might sound strange, but have you considered changing her name? A lot of people respond to names. Something sweet- candy like, anything like that, and someone will look at her. Can you give her a bunch of toys? Hold her and let people meet her? We got our cat because someone made me hold him- i had no interest in any of them, i held a few, but the way he reacted to me, i knew right there he was mine. I think she's gorgeous. I'd be immediately attracted to her because of her stunning colors. What about photos? Can you bring photos of her playing and being bouncy so people can see that she really does get active?
Stripe is a beautiful girl I hope she finds her forever home soon.
My Mum and typist, also does TNR and looks after a feral cat colony, I was feral kitten but I was found very early and bottle fed. Keep up the great work the kitties really need people like you and we do appreciate it
Cory's mom here: We found Cory and Ellie on Petfinder. They were with a rescue organization 1 1/2 hours away, but I fell in love with their story and pictures. We also found our dog Grete on Petfinder at a county pound 45 minutes away. We never would have found them randomly. Again, just searching the internet and found Grete's picture and story. Love at first sight confirmed when we met in person. Petfinder will allow you to give a description of her true personality and will help her true forever person find her.
We found Jeannie on Petfinder. We sure hope Stripe finds her forever home soon.
Post a Comment