Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

8/15/09

Rocky Raccoon


Here is Rocky Raccoon - my husband chose that name, though I imagine the name has already been taken many times.
Originally, I did not like it that Rocky and his family (wife and three babies) were raiding the dry cat food for our homeless cats. So I would remove all of the cat food at night. Now, I will leave a little out there for them. I tell myself it's because I feel badly about human encroachment on land and resources that used to accommodate wildlife. But the real reason is probably because I have a bit of a relationship with them, though we never get close to them. This goes for a family of skunks that comes around at night, too. (sorry, no photos of the skunks yet).
There is not one outdoor cat who minds the raccoons or skunks. Often, they eat side-by-side. Sometimes, some of the cats will try to chase the more timid cats off the property. But none of the cats have tried to chase off the skunks or raccoons. And I have never seen the skunks or raccoons try to chase off any of the cats. If only humans could learn to tolerate each other so well.

6 comments:

Jans Funny Farm said...

You got that right!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

That would be nice.

CATS 4 MEOWS said...

Wow, this go be very nice!

Mishkat said...

That's amazing that they all get along so well!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Oh Rocky is cute. I would love it if even my own cats got along that well - they have been known to chase each other from the food sometimes!

Poppy Q said...

Hi there, my name is Poppy Q and we found your blog today. It is good work you do, and we are sending you a small donation to help out.

Nice to meet you.

Poppy q