I understand that cats are carnivores. that means they need animal protein. From what I've read, protein in many mainstream dry cat food brands is heavily plant-based. Protein in canned cat food is meat-based. And the quality of ingredients varies from one brand to another. Many dry cat foods have a high level of grains.
In case you want to improve the quality of the food you offer your cats, I thought you might like to check out the following site. Click on this link to use a wizard that compares ingredients in different brands, as well as what each ingredient actually is (terms on labels can be confusing) -
http://www.naturapet.com/tools/comparison.asp
If I had the money, I would get the best cat food for our large feral/abandoned colony. The best I can do for now is to provide them with dry food plus a cheaper brand of wet canned food. Even though it is not the best canned food, the protein in the wet food is more bioavailable for them than the protein in the dry food.
I hope this pet food wizard is helpful for you.
I would be extremely grateful if you feel inclined to donate to the management of this feral/abandoned colony, using the PayPal button on the sidebar.
Thanks for reading my post - leave a comment if you like.
I plan to share more about my experiences and what I have learned from managing this homeless colony.
Please let your friends know about my blog.
Debby Taylor
DTConsult@cableone.net
8/22/09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for the post of the wizard - we are always trying to get the high protei/no grain food.
We would also like to try and figure out a way to do an aution for you - we aren't really good at it but we know a lot of sites have done it. I will try and let you know when I figure something out - I make jewelry and thought I could auction a few things to help out.
I love my pet so much and prefer to buy healthy food for them... Thanks for sharing this!!
Mason, thanks for leaving the link for the cat supply coupons!
Our cats are always fed fresh food. I am to nervous to trust any of the pet store food. Some of these pet products can kill your animal. I can't take that chance
Post a Comment