Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

7/12/11

Tumbleweed

I thought you might like to see what tumbleweed looks like before it dies and starts tumbling around. It's the bigger green stuff in this photo.

I learned that it's edible - recipes on the Internet for tumbleweed soup - but I did not find it very palatable. Good survival food, supposedly.

I have never seen cats eat it. Cats seem to be very fussy about which greens they will munch on.

My inside cats like oat grass. How about yours?

Debby

7 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

We have never seen tumbleweed. We live in Nova Scotia and it does not grow there :)
We go have grass and Mom picks is some to eat and we love that!!!
Purrs Tillie and Georgia

Anonymous said...

I have only seen tumbleweed blowing across the highway when were riding across TX a couple of times. I never knew it was edible. Hugs

The Cat Guy said...

My Nahum loves greens! He loves lettuce and spinach. He might even like fresh tumbleweed too! Recently started getting him wheat grass which he goes bonkers for. Whenever I buy lettuce, he fishes through the grocery bags and finds it. We keep it well secure so he doesn't help himself. If given a choice between tuna or lettuce, I bet he would choose the lettuce!

I keep a list handy of all the plants that are poisonous to cats, I would have to look tumbleweed up to make sure it's not poisonous!

Anonymous said...

We live in Ontario and the only tumbleweed we've seen is on old B western movies. LOL. Hollywood tumbleweed. We didn't even know it was ever green--silly of us, huh?

We eat the grass in our enclosed back space in the summer (not much left to it now, it's fried in the heat and drought), but the mom also grows cat grass for us too, whatever kind she can find. Not sure what kind...wheat, maybe. Even though she won't buy food with wheat it in for us. Hmmm....

Brian's Home Blog said...

I've never seen that either, but it looks like fun!

Marilia said...

My inside cats only eat special grass, those planted in the vase, do you know?

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, I never knew tumbleweeds were edible. Now that you have posted a picture of what they look like while they are alive, I *have* seen them before (just never made the connection...). :)