
My indoor foster cats won't go out in their cat run once it gets really hot. They like it out there in the cooler morning. Also, they really object to the sound of the air conditioner in their room. So we work with a ceiling fan to keep them cooler.
I read many places that cats have the perfect anatomy to be good desert animals. But also I read this article on the dangers of heat exhaustion in cats - you might want to check it out.
Have any of you had any problems with heat exhaustion or heat stroke with your cats?
Debby in Arizona
2 comments:
Knock on wood, the fur family hasn't had heat stroke, at least not yet. They do go out in my little enclosed back space in the wee hours of the AM when I'm up, before work (4AM to 6AM, usually), and then when I'm home from work (4PM to about 8PM). The garden has lots of gigantic hostas to hide under, and I have two water bowls out there too.
But while it gets into the 90s here (at least 95F with the humidex factor today), and we don't have a/c, the hot weather really doesn't last long and it's not into the 100s F (not normally, though a couple of times it has been).
When Annie was still alive, I'd often come home on the hottest days of the summer to find her lying in a sun puddle on the upper level of the house, on the carpet. Sheesh. I never could get that. LOL.
Really interesting article Deb!Being in the UK heatstroke isn't such a problem, but we do have some scorching days where everyone flags in the heat. Running a pack of cold peas down her spine used to help Patti, she was a very dense furred, long haired cat, she used to suffer in the heat a bit. Tuna ice cubes were useful in getting her to drink a bit more. She'd scoot one around the kitchen then spend a while licking it. If we have a forecast boiling hot day, we close all the house curtains too, to keep the heat out. As air con isn't common over here, we used to make our own by putting a large bowl of ice cubes infront of a big fan. As long as the fan wasn't on high, it kinda worked and you'd often find a cat sitting in a few feet away from the breeze.
Post a Comment