Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

12/31/10

Tiger Loves Kneading her Paws


Tiger Lily loves to knead her paws on any soft blanket or jacket she encounters. I find it to be a fascinating behavior.


I have seen kittens do this when they are nursing with their mothers. And not every mature cat I've known still does the kneading. So I have speculated that maybe, when a mature cat does this, it could be a sign that the cat did not get enough of something from the mother during nursing - sort of like an older human child sucking her thumb.

Maybe some of you have wondered about what makes a cat do this. So below I have added a few links to sites where people attempt to explain this behavior.

I'd really like your comments with thoughts and opinions on this matter.



May all of you have a wonderful New Year.


Debby

8 comments:

meowmeowmans said...

Tiger Lily sure is beautiful! Happy New Year to you and your famly, Debby!

Kea said...

I've always thought it was related to nursing -- a comfort thing. Chumley kneaded all the time and would suckle too. Nicki's a kneader, Annie a bit, and Derry -- not at all until recently, he's learning it from watching Nicki knead and purr.

Anyway, I wish you a very happy new year, filled with an abundance of laughter, joy and Light!

Brian's Home Blog said...

We think fond memories causes this! My sisters and I want to wish you a very Happy New Year!

Jans Funny Farm said...

Debby, we wish you and all your kitties a Happy 2011.

The Creek Cats said...

Happy New Year

The Creek Cats and Maggie May

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I have always thought that when they knead it is
something they do when they are happy. Also maybe something they do to feel safe and secure, like a child with their thumb or a pacifier.

Happy New Years to you and all the cats you care for.

Trixie, Lily, and Sammy-Joe said...

Hi! We just started our own blog recently, and we're going around trying to meet other bloggy pets. Sammy-Joe, the cat among us, does this a whole lot! HE especially loves to knead people's hair while they are laying down, and he purrs loudly while he does it. Our Mama wonders why, too!

Amy & the house of cats said...

All our cats have done this as adults at one time or another and most still do - Kirzon is the oldest and does it the least but he has his own little quirks (he digs instead of kneading but I think it is the same thing). I have read a lot of different ideas about it - my favorite is that it means the cat likes you and trusts you if they are doing it on your lap. Barney will do it and suck on a blanket - probably because he was weened too soon (Floyd did it too but to a much greater extent). Gus does it and puts his face down by the blanket but doesn't suck it (I think he is copying Barney and just doesn't know he should be sucking on the blanket). But all the cats do it sometimes, often before taking a long nap. I think Tiger is totally normal (and super cute too!)