![]() |
| Grizzly Girl |
My heart goes out to Grizzly. Recently she started to hang around out back at night when the others have already gone to find their shelter for the night. She waits for me to bring out better food than what I'm used to giving the homeless / feral cats. I'm in the habit of doing this when the inside cats get too persnickety, not eating their food for whatever reason. Sometimes she will lay on the cold cement for hours. (she won't lay on the thick pillow I put out for her). She is the only one of our feral colony who does this. When I look out to see her waiting, she appears rather resigned but dejected at the same time - hard to describe it, but she has that sort of mood. It's as if she is saying "I know I'm homeless, I don't like it, but I know you are kind so I will wait out here as long as it takes for you to bring me something."
All of them are eating twice as much as they did in the summer. And their coats are all so much thicker. I wonder if increasing the amount of food per day combined with the colder nights turns on their internal mechanism for adding thicker fur. (Our day times in Arizona are still fairly warm.)
Does anyone out in the cat blogosphere know what turns on the homeless ones internal fur-building device?
Thanks for reading and commenting. All of our kitties seem to be well for now, thanks be to God.
Debby
http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/

4 comments:
Poor girl, she does look a little rough. :-(
We're so glad you're feeding her, though.
We all get thick coats for winter, but we're in Ontario, Canada. We think it might be daylight hours--the waning and waxing--that causes the winter coat to come in (and the shedding in spring).
Poor Grizzly Girl, we hope she is not ill. We live in the tropics and have not experienced real cold.
Our cats put on winter coats - I think Kea is right - it is a change in seasons thing with daylight hours shorter. Her not grooming may be her ot feeling well - she does look unkempt. I put Vitamin C in our cats' food - Ester C has no flavor and you can mix it in wet or dry - it will help their immune systems.
Yep, fur is an indication of health and perhaps she isn't feeling well. Cats do tend to get thicker coats in the winter time...perhaps she is a transplant from a cooler climate?
Post a Comment