Here are two of the most miraculous cats I have ever known. Tiger Lily is on the top, Angelina Stripe is below. Each of them lives sequestered in different parts of my home. I let Tiger go into the room where I keep Angelina Stripe but not vice versa since the latter does not get along with Tabatha at all. And each of them knows there are 4 other indoor cats getting my attention. (we have many more as outdoor-only) Each of these two started out feral. Tiger lived outside only for 7 months of her life before her serious injury from 3 dogs attacking her. Stripe lived outdoors for 1 1/2 years before I began socializing her.
Here is Tiger's story
http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/2009/06/tiger-lillys-journey-from-feral-to.html
Here is the event which triggered keeping my wild Angelina Stripe indoors only
http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/2010/01/stripe-returned-from-being-missing.html
Lately, each of these two ladies asks for more attention from me than before. I think they love the reinforcement that they are loved, despite their wild beginnings. I wonder if maybe a cat can feel insecure, especially when she had to fight for survival early on.
Anyway, here is what they do to reach into my heart more deeply. Tiger sprawls on the floor. If she does not play with any toy I offer her, I know she just wants me to pet her and rub the sides of my face on the sides of her face. I talk to her and stroke her. She purrs and looks right into my eyes with what feels like allot of love. She won't sit on my lap like Angelina Stripe does. But I know she really adores me in her own way.
Angelina Stripe meows and looks up at me, dancing around my feet as soon as I come into her room. If I have not spent much time with her for many hours (working from home) she meow/squeaks for me to put her on my lap where I either pet her, brush her unruly fur, or rub her ears and sides of her face. When I do the latter, she purrs and looks right into my eyes with what feels like concern about whether I really care about her.
I find it amazing that each of them looks right into my eyes and holds the gaze while I am giving love. None of my other 3 cats will do that. I read somewhere a long time ago (forget the source) that staring into the eyes of a cat can trigger something to do with dominance. But my alpha cat, Tabby, won't stare into my eyes when I love her. With Tiger and Angelina Stripe, I think it has nothing to do with dominance. I think they just love connecting with me that way.


11 comments:
I would say you really have made a connection fur sure! They are so pretty!!!
Oh it is so great that they are starting to feel happy and loved and secure. The way they show they love you shows that they know that they are in good hands!!
I have found that the rescued ferals that lived outdoors the longest or had the toughest time are the most affectionate indoors! It is like they realize how ggood it is now for them and are very thankful!
They are two beautiful kitties and it is lovely that they return your love for them.
Tiger and Angelina Stripe are both beautiful! So glad to hear that they are safe inside now - I'm sure they really do appreciate it.
Many purrs to both of them - and to all the cats you are caring for!
Both Tiger Lily and Angelina Stripes are beautiful. Agree with you and I, too, believe that it is their way of love connection; their way of saying 'love you with all my little heart and thank you for helping and loving me unconditionally'.
Hugs to you. :)
They are both so beautiful! Bless you for taking such wonderful care of them! And all the others!!
Debby, it's simple, they love you and feel confident enough with you to hold your gaze! That's a real achievement with cats who had rough beginings and traumatic events in their lives.
Tiger Lily's thighs (hams we call 'em here) are amazing, what a shapely gal!
WW
I am so glad that they have come through their ordeals. I know they must be so grateful to you and your husband.
Peanut and Marshmellow both gaze directly into my eyes. Peanut especially does this sometimes for several minutes. He sits on the end of the piano sometimes when I am playing and just gives me the most loving stares.
They are beautiful, and we are so glad that you have such a great bond with them! :)
Yikes! I'm brand new here, thanks to AMY!!! She's been helping me with a difficult for me situation. I "fostered" a "feral" cat several weeks ago. A week later she had kittens, five! That day she attacked me viciously and then she tried to go after my dogs and cats. I want to keep them. The yikes I just wrote was because of the word "sequestered". I was hoping to be able to keep the new cat and her kittens and incorporate them in my home (I have 3 dogs and 3 cats already). You get my point. If you have any feedback, I'd be grateful. Don't worry about responding if you're busy. The kittens are 6 weeks old and still nursing. Perhaps once they're weaned, their mom will calm down and things will happen more easily than I thought.
I wish I had time to go over your entire blog, but I'm one of those crazy busy people so I'll just visit again and again and enjoy it in bits and pieces. I am sure interested in what you have to say!
Isabelle (I always sign with my blog name: Twinkie)
Post a Comment