Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

11/16/13

Our outdoor kitties are eating more than usual now that we are getting colder weather. I love knowing they are beefing up to get a bit more protection from the weather. Even though we are Arizona, it's been abnormally colder lately for this time of year - 50's in the day and 30's at night. We want the feral colony to have every advantage they can.

The air was really cold today. Once it starts going below the 30's at night, we will set up some heating pads beneath their cat beds - they loved them last year. For 6 years we have had cat condos lined with carpet out for them all year, but they don't usually like using them - have no idea why.

Care to share some special things you do to help your ferals?

Debby in Arizona

7 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

We worry about our ferals when it gets cold too. Ours have insulated and heated houses out of the wind line and they do use them.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We rarely see ferals here. The only cats that sometimes come visiting are hunting mice and come from the housing estate 4 fields away. Flynn gets very annoyed if they dare to walk in his fields.

Mickey's Musings said...

We do not get many strays here, but we feed them if we see them.
Purrs Tillie and Georgia,
Treasure,Tiger, JJ and Julie

Anonymous said...

I haven't had any feral kitties here for a few years. But when we did, between me and the elderly neighbour lady those kitties ate good! She used to warm their meat and potatoes up for them. LOL!
Hope all your kitties stay safe and warm this year.
xo Catherine

SquirrelQueen said...

Mine are the offspring of a feral mom and are tame with me but no one else. One of them is beginning to spend time inside.

They stay on our covered patio. Their condo's have two openings so they can make a quick escape if they should feel threatened by one of the raccoons who frequently come by even though there is no food available at night on the patio. There has never been a problem with them and the raccoons but cats don't like to feel trapped. You might want to look at the design of the condos to give them an escape route.
I also have a heated water dish in the winter so the water won't freeze.

Jenn said...

I haven't seen any ferals around our neighborhood lately, though I'm sure that they are around. If I see any I will definitely leave a bowl of food out for them and fresh water, just like we did with our cats when they were strays before we took them in.

Unknown said...

It's getting so chilly out I'm glad that your ferals are beefing up before the weather gets colder!

Heating pads is a great idea!I have never thought of that! Hugs, Francesca