
I am always amazed at how cats form some habits and persist with them consistently. Tabby in the photos loves to 'steal' my husband's office chair when he's not occupying it. Also, she sometimes wakes him up early for no apparent reason (has plenty of food). Then I discovered the following link to an article which includes reference to cats being prone to activity at dusk and dawn. The article calls this "crepuscular". I have heard of diurnal and nocturnal but never crepuscular.
Both Tabby and Tiger Lily have learned to vocalize very annoying sounds. Supposedly they try these out on us and whatever gets the responses they want prompts them to use them perpetually. (Is this like Pavlov's dog in reverse? Should I be embarrassed that they conditioned my responses? (:
)
Anyway, our cats are always giving us wonderful surprises.
Please comment one or more times - want to learn what your thoughts are, readers.
Debby in Arizona
11 comments:
Our cats are certainly creatures of habit! And they do try to wake us up too early... my response tends to be just to ignore them, or if nothing else, pull them up against me for some cuddle time. (Either they'll calm down and cuddle or get annoyed and stalk off - either way, win for me!)
One of them is very persistent, though. If her cries don't work, she'll lick my eyelids. Yerk.
Yes, I recently learned that cats are most active at dawn and dusk and are not really nocturnal. Surprised me, actually!
I get up between 3:30AM and 4AM (if I'm lucky I'll doze till 4:10AM or so), so I'm well-trained. :-P
Sister Gracie is in charge of alarming here and she wakes up everyone at 5AM, every single day...and she vocalizes if she has to!
Tommy is the alarm in our house. If mom is not awake by 7am every day, he is jumping on the bed and getting his minions in order to help out!
My big fatty cat meows without sound when he wants to cuddle up and sleep. When he wants food, his meows become long and loud. That's how he shows his impatience.
My girl gets me up regardless how late I got to bed, at 0600! No ifs ands or buts. You are up and that's that.
Oh, this here be the Admiral's mommy. I just came from my own blog.
We enjoyed your visit to our blog. Tabby and Tiger Lily are both beautiful. We have one cat that is quite vocal, that would be Pooh Bear. She can say 'mama' and talks a lot and loud. Please stop in and visit us again. Hugs and nose kisses
When my cats were younger they used to be very active in the early morning hours and at my bedtime. Now they have become lazy and sleep their life away.
Peanut has quite a few habits that I love. When ever I am vacuuming their playroom he always without fail comes to sit on the cedar chest and watches me clean. Marshmellow runs and hides.
Hello!
I live in Brazil and here there are NGOs and protectors. But there are also sites that collect feral cats and abandoned in order to welcome them and give them a decent life. I was visiting one of these sites last week, a couple friends of mine. If you want to look, I made a post about it: http://repositoriodamarilia.blogspot.com/2011/03/amagatos.html.
Best wishes and congratulations for the work you do!
Hugs!
Every day I have to wake my Mommy up at 4am because I have to have treats! Then after my treats I let her go back to sleep until 5am when I have to get under the covers. Those are the rules!
Angel
Greetings from Southern California
I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.
God Bless You :-)
~Ron
Post a Comment