![]() |
| Angelina Stripe |
Angelina Stripe seems to need allot of stimulation through play, even though she is about 2 1/2 years old. Same goes for Tiger Lily, though she is 3 years old. Maybe it's because they were once feral and need the reassurance of human connection.
This brings to mind how people would tell me when my son was so active as a baby (over 30 years ago) that very intelligent children need lots of stimulation through games, stories, singing, etc. It turned out that he had a higher I.Q. than either his father or me. I wonder if the same dynamic can be true for cats? Does anyone know if the more intelligent ones need more stimulation? Or are they all pretty much the same level of intelligence? I have never read anything about this. If any of you knows anything about this, I would really be interested in your comments.
Blessings to all of you and your animals!
Debby

9 comments:
I will say that of my 3 cats, Nicki is the brightest. Frighteningly so sometimes. You almost can see the wheels turning in his mind as he studies something, figures out how to get in/get out/get around/get into trouble. :-D
And he does need a lot of stimulation; he gets bored very easily.
Derry is both more laid back in some ways (less active, even though he's 6 months younger than Nicki) and also more skittish. Definitely not as clever about escaping, figuring out how things work, etc.
Annie, I think, is average or maybe just a bit above.
Whether this is a difference in level of innate "intelligence," I don't know. Intelligence is a human-centric construct anyway. Non-human animals are far more "intelligent" than human animals in many ways, IMO.
Interesting topic!
Yes, we have different levels of intelligence as do humans, except our lower level is lots higher. I think some of us also have ADD just like humans, not that I mentioned any sister names.
Oh we truly believe that different cats have different levels of "intelligence". I know with my cats, when Abby sees me, she 'talks' to me and she has different tones so I know she is communicating different things. I usually understand what she wants by how she communicates. And when they want something it is interesting to watch how they problem solve.
Yes, they do have different levels and some are extremely manipulative but oh so very cute!
Fletcher, one of our Rainbow Bridge cats, was incredibly intelligent - and he also needed a lot of attention. He didn't sleep as much as many cats either. I'm not sure if the two traits are connected, but it makes sense.
Angelina is beautiful!
i think all cats are like humans. each different , each unique. different personalities & needs. and we can appreciate all of the similarities and differences in our tribe.
but for the heck of it i do feel ALL cats are super intelligent :)
they really are. more than humans on a different level.
-us4 cats
I definitely think the more intelligent need more stimulation. My Delilah (also a beautiful Tortie like Angelina) makes up her own games when she's bored!
Both of my cats recognize certain words. When they were younger and more active Marshmellow was more laid back. Peanut would fetch toys and bring them back to me. I would wake up in the morning to find that he had brought all his toys and carefully laid them on my chest. He has always watched tv with great interest. I have always thought maybe he was the smartest of the two. Marshmellow is more the naughty one, opening drawers and taking things out.
Oh, definitely! Gadget, one of the cats at our shelter is one of the smartest cats we've ever come across. You can see it in his eyes -- it's like he knows exactly what you are thinking. There was another cat, Splash, who used to open his own cage (i.e. undo the latch), hang on the (handle-type) doorknob to open the door, and go to find his "buddy" in another one of the cat rooms (they were eventually adopted together).
Post a Comment