Cat Blogosphere

Cat Blogosphere
Meet other cat lovers

Please Help the Homeless

NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

5/3/10

Tabatha Is Sneezing


Tabatha is one of our adopted inside cats. She has been with us since 2007. Her left ear is clipped because we thought she was going to be trap-spay-release ( TNR ). After we released her she wanted to come back in. She adopted us!
Right now, she has been sneezing quite a bit. Also, she does not play as much - seems less energetic than usual. I know many of you are more experienced with cat ailments than I am. She does not demonstrate any other symptoms. Any suggestions on this? I figure if it does not pass in several days, I should take her to the vet.
Thanks for commenting! I have been so busy lately - I will try to get some comments done coming up soon.
Debby Taylor

8 comments:

Kea said...

It sounds like a flare up of the standard shelter cold virus, the herpes virus, that so many cats have. I put L-Lysine in my cats' canned food when they get a cold--it's an amino acid that binds to the molecules of the virus and helps to lessen the severity of the symptoms and also the duration. You can get it at a health food store or nutrition store--look for the 500mg capsules that break open, with the powder inside. It has a slightly salty taste (I've tried it), but that's it. Humans also use it when they get a flare up of the herpes virus (i.e. cold sores). You can't overdose a cat on it, but I wouldn't give more than 500mg per day. 250mg for young cats. You can also give it daily (I do 250mg) as a preventative measure.

If she has no other symptoms, is eating and pooping normally, I would try that first. My vets have recommend it, actually, but I've been using it for years, long before I started going to my current clinic.

Google it for feline use if you are worried. Good luck!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I don't know about the sneezing fur sure, she might be allergic to something, but Kea's suggestion sounds reasonable. We'll purr for her too, never hurts ya know!

The Island Cats said...

Sounds like Kea has given you some good advice to try. Me? I'm just a big worrier and I would probably take her to the vet. But it might be worth trying Kea's suggestion first.

Island Cats' mom

havetailwillwag said...

umm.. do cats have allergies? sometimes my cats sneeze too.. just once or twice.. and once in a blue mooon one of em will have a sneezing fit and then be totally fine after. they don't get sick or anything so i figure they're ok...? are tabatha's eyes runny? is she sniffling? then maybe a trip to the vet would be good..

The Chair Speaks said...

Could be allergy but if it continues, I would take her to the vet.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Yeah, the L-lysine is good stuff, da ladies use it on colony cats alla time fur da herpes stuff. Sadie haf alerjees, she gets a shot fur dem otherwise she would be sneezing alla time. Still, sometimes dey is really bad and her eyes water and she gets a runny nose. Dat useta make mom panic until dey found out she haf alerjees to pollen and dust mites (really!) and she gets worser in da spring.

Everycat said...

Kea et al have it right. I'd say the snot rule applies. Sneezes without snot but with a bit of lethargy, probably just a cold. If there's runny eyes and nose and it's anything but clear, then a trip to the vet would be good.

If you can up the humidity in her room, it might help too :)

WW

Everycat said...

Oh one other thing, sometimes a heap of sneezing can indicate something tiny stuck up the nose. Tiny grass seeds, even if she doesn't go out, seeds get walked into the home. If they are stuck up there for a while, the delicate tissues can be inflamed. Probably wouldn't account for lethargy though.

Hope it's just a cold! Get well soon Tabatha, you are beautiful :)

WW