Meet Panther. Her eyes usually appear shaped like her namesake, more so than what you see in the photo with this blog post. She craves being brushed all over, especially behind the ears. When I pet or brush her, I get an immediate report of satisfaction from her purr-motor running loud and strong.Panther is one of several abandoned cats in our otherwise feral colony. She volunteered over a year ago to be the guardian of our carport, the sheltered space where I feed our cat crew. Day-in, day-out she perched somewhere on this back area, rarely going far from her dominion. It took her a year to get up the nerve to trust me enough to come into my back sun room to visit. I assume she was abused in some way, since she does not like it when I try to hold her on my lap. This past winter, when I opened the door to coax her to come in to get warm, she allowed only her head to poke in past the door frame, eyes scoping around the room as if part of a submarine periscope. While she surveyed the room with rapt attention, a few other cats came in and out – in and out – in and out. But this perpetual revolving door practice performed by her companions was not enough to reassure her. Finally, in the spring, she ventured in, lost her reluctance, becoming part of the stream of capricious cats ever since. Each of the ones who come in to visit in the back room was abandoned.
Way back when I took her to get spayed, the vet said her gums and teeth were severely decayed. So he pulled all but 4 of her teeth. Sometimes I call her my “toothless wonder”. She can still chew a bit of dry food. Yet I am truly thrilled that this abandoned kitty cat has claimed my home as her own so I can see that she gets a soft food that is easier for her to manage.
I would be extremely grateful if you feel inclined to donate to the management of this feral/abandoned colony, using the PayPal button on the sidebar. Thanks for reading - leave a comment if you like. Please let your friends know about my blog. Debby Taylor DTConsult@cableone.net
10 comments:
I enjoyed reading your blog! Thank you for all you are doing to help these kitties! Great story about Panther too!
Thanks for visiting, BeadedTail! Have a great week!
Debby, Panther is lufly an furry lucky to haf you. I gess she's cautious like my sisfur Nina... she asplored one room at a time fur amost a week at a time when she camed. I was impatient to chase her round da whole howse, MOL. She still stays unner fings an near edges of rooms. An we chase eachofur all ofur :)
Fanks fur bisitin my blog (ok, OUR blog). I's been bloggin a few years now. We had more to say when my sisfur Bonnie was alife cuz she was always growlin, hissin, an grumblin bout sumfing. 33 comments on dat last post was cuz it was up 2 weeks (I was bizzy watchin squirrels out da windose). I's kinda considered an old-timer in bloggin (I's only 4!). Bisit lots of blogs, leaf lotsa comments, an always list yur posts on da Cat Blogosphere, an you'll get more bisitors. Also, der's anofur Deb Taylor among cat bloggers!
Purrs,
Victor, Nina, & Tabbymom Jen
Hi! First of all, I love your name! :) Thank you for visiting my blog! Your blog is wonderful and I have added you to my blog list! People are bound to mix us up! I go by Deb Taylor (Auntie Deb to all the CB)! I'll tell all my friends about your work!!!
Deb
Hi Debby, Thanks for visiting our blog. I will be happy to include you and the cats on our blogroll. I think it is terrific that you're caring for these kitties.
Debby, our shelter provides free spay/neuter & release of ferals and also will give rescues food for the colony. Isn't there anything like that in your area? God bless you for all you are doing for these poor babies.
I iz sooh glad deze babies gots u too looks our fur dem!! Weze sind sumpins ifns sumbuddy bids on our stuffed babies!!
Panther and all the other cats are very lucky to have you looking out for them. I'm happy that Panther finally decided that it was safe to come inside, so she could be cared for more fully. You are doing a wonderful thing by helping out all these cats.
Great work you are doing for these feral cats. I have been caring for a feral group for 10 years and moved them all when we moved last year! Some are inside and have adapted quite well. Others are in a shelter we built for them and they are doing fine. They are much more tameable than most think! Stop by and visit our blog sometime. Thanks for putting this info out there for others. I had little to work with when I was doing this!
What a great job you do helping the feral colony!! We have read a few of your posts!! It is wonderful! We'll be back to see you!! Thanks for helping the kitties!
Your FL furiends,
Post a Comment